Following the burial, non-family members form two lines and, as the mourners pass by them, they recite the traditional condolence: “Hamakom y’nachem etchem b’toch sh’ar availai tziyon ee yerushalayim.” May God comfort you among all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.
How do you express condolences in Hebrew?
The Hebrew word for condolences is תַּנְחוּמִים (tahn-khoo-MEEM).
What do you say to someone who lost a loved one in Hebrew?
Shelo ted’u od tza’ar
If so, you might comfort them with this Hebrew phrase, which means “That you should know no further sorrow.” The mourner may grieve their loss, while also taking comfort in the knowledge that their parent is at peace, and they no longer have to watch them suffer.
What to say when comforting mourners?
The Right Words to Comfort Someone Grieving
- I’m sorry.
- I care about you.
- He/she will be dearly missed.
- He/she is in my thoughts and prayers.
- You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
- You are important to me.
- My condolences.
- I hope you find some peace today.
What do you say to someone sitting shiva?
It is a mitzvah to visit a house of mourning during Shiva. We visit to offer friendship and sympathy to the mourner. It is customary to say to the mourners: Ha-Makom ye-nachem etchem be-toch she’ar avelay Tziyon vi-Yerushala’yim. May the Lord comfort you together with all mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.”
What is the best condolence message to a friend?
Short Sympathy Quotes and Sympathy Sayings
- “Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.”
- “Our thoughts and prayers are with you.”
- “I wish you healing and peace.”
- “I hope you feel surrounded by much love.”
- “We are so sorry for your loss.”
- “We are thinking of you during these difficult times.”
How do you write a short condolence message?
Short Condolence Messages
- A thought of comfort and condolences to the grieving family.
- Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.
- Heartfelt thoughts go out to you in this time of sorrow.
- I will be thinking of you in this moment of pain.
- I am thinking about you and sending love.